Guidelines for film submission, Films from the North
1. The film’s subject matter, the production itself or the film’s director should have a strong connection to the Barents region or other circumpolar areas. See regional specification below.
2. Short films, documentaries and feature films are accepted.
3. The film should be finalized during the last year.
4. The film should not have distribution in Norway prior to the festival. – Films already screened on Norwegian television or made publicly available on the internet for Norwegian users, are not eligible.
5. Selections will be made by the festival’s administration. Decisions of refusal will not be commented.
6. Films can be shown in or out of competition. Competition is reserved for shorts and docs under 1 hour.
7. For films selected for the festival, the screening format is DCP. We also accept films delivered as HD files. See more info. All screening copies must have English subtitles.
Norway: Finnmark, Troms and Nordland
Finland: Lappland, North Ostrobothnia, Northern Karelia and Kainuu
Sweden: Norrbotten and Västerbotten
Iceland (all of it)
Greenland (all of it)
Russia: Murmansk, Arkhangelsk, Nenets, Komi and Karelia
Canada: Yukon, Northwest Terretories, Nunavut
1. Submissions are done online from our web site. Submission deadline is October 20, 2023.
2. If the film is not complete, a temporary version can be uploaded upon agreement with the festival.
3. The selection will be announced by early December 2023.
4. All screening copies of selected film should be in Tromsø by Thursday January 4, 2024.